Thursday, January 10, 2013

new meets old in rock'n'roll

Working in music is an eternally rewarding experience. To always be surrounded by sounds both old and new, and people who share my passion for them, is something I would never trade. That being said, you can expect a lot of my posts to either include music or be nearly entirely about it. Not sorry.





My parents were definitely music people, too - they always brag about having seen Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." tour once on each coast, the beginning and the end of the tour. While I'm so incredibly fortunate to be able to see as much live music as I do, I will be forever jealous of the music they got to coexist with. As much amazing new music as there is out there, my heart at its core will always lie with the legends. Simon & Garfunkel, Jimi Hendrix, The Grateful Dead, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Band, Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Bob Dylan, The Smiths, Velvet Underground - I could go on (for quite some time), but you get the idea. And the ones I missed out on as a kid, and friends have since introduced me to, are some of my absolute favorites - The Cars, The Cramps, The Rolling Stones, The Doors. I can't even keep talking about it, I'll go on forever. There will be much more on this to come, I'm sure.


What I bring to you today is a marriage of my two great loves - old music and new music. There are few things I love more than a current band I love paying homage to the roots of rock and roll. Check out some of these tributes and covers I've been jamming to the last few days!


The Kills - Dreams (Fleetwood Mac)


Tegan and Sara - Fool to Cry (The Rolling Stones)


Nicolas Jaar - Avalanche (Leonard Cohen)



Chromatics - Fade to Black (Neil Young)

There's so many more out there. The best-written songs can be re-invented time and time again and still ring true - and that's one of music's greatest beauties. 

xx Caitlin


No comments:

Post a Comment